Saturday, August 28, 2010

Indonesian Corn Fritters

Okay…so Luau Salad wasn’t going to be the only thing I would miss moving of my Island of Oahu. There was another great restaurant - E&O Trading Company - where they served the best Corn Fritters. As a matter of fact I had never heard of Corn Fritters (even while reading the menu the first few times I ate there I kind of glazed over the Corn Fritter part) until a waiter recommended them one day. I am so glad he did! (I would thank him now in this blog but unfortunately I don’t remember his name – in short I just thank all the waiters/waitresses and the E&O Trading Co. Honolulu). After my first time I was hooked and would order this delicious appetizer every time I ate there.


After my move to the "mainland” I experienced the same dilemma as I had with my Luau Salad. I had to find the recipe for the Corn Fritters. After a little research I found out that these are actually called Indonesian Corn fritters and there were plenty of recipes available online. Honestly, the first few times they did not turn out so great, but after a trial-and-error period I finally got them very close to the originals. Yet, the restaurant served them with a special dipping sauce which even today I have not figured out, but provide you with the recipe of the closest match I came up with. I would love to hear comments from anyone with the original ingredients for the dipping sauce.


Mix together: One can of corn (w/out the juice), 1 tsp. minced garlic, ½ cup chopped green onions, 1/3 cup flour, a little salt and pepper, and 2 eggs. Heat some oil in a (deep) frying pan and add the corn batter in “small pancake size” to the hot oil. Flatten the batter out (a little). Cook on each side until they are golden brown.


Serve with the dipping sauce:

1/8 cup soy sauce, 3 tbsps. rice vinegar, ½ tsp. Hot Pepper Paste, 2 tsps. chopped green onions.



Guten Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment