Thursday, August 26, 2010

Home Baked Bread

I thought I start my new blog with my proudest achievement yet (in regards to baking that is), home baked bread. While there are plenty of very good breads (read: German style) available in my new home of Tucson, AZ (e.g. AJ's) they often come with a hefty price tag. For this reason I jumped on the opportunity when my local Slow Food Movement convivium offered a Master bread class.


Interesting and way fun, the best thing was we all left with a little starter from which my breads have emerged ever since. 8oz of the starter are mixed with 3 cups of water, 1 tsp salt and 1 1/2 lbs of organic unbleached bread flour. This mixture is left for 4 hours and then can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. At this point I refresh the starter with 1/2 cup of water (mix it up completely) and add 6oz whole wheat flour. This then goes back into the fridge for the next time I want to bake. 


The next day the sponge (the part that was in the fridge for up to 24 hours) is mixed with 1/2 cup of water and 1lb 14oz of bread flour + 4 tsp salt. After this is knead thoroughly it has to sit for about 4 hours (to grow). Then I cut the dough in half, shape it a little (so it looks like a bread) and bake it in the oven for 45minutes (exactly!) at 500F. When I first put it in the oven I add 1Glass of warm water to a (metal) bowl underneath the bread (to give it the steam for the awesome crust).
I used to never have the patience to wait so long (I assume this is why I was a terrible baker), but while writing my dissertation I noticed that baking bread will give you the right amount of time to step away from your writing process and nothing makes your think more clear than kneading dough for a great German style bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment